Measure & Install Reclaimed Wood Panels
How do I measure for the right amount of RECwood™ I need?
Before starting your wall paneling project, measure the width and height of your space in inches (with a tape measure). Use a calculator to multiply the width and height of the area you want to cover. Divide the total number of inches by 144. Add 5% to the total to allow for waste to ensure you have enough planks to complete the project.
Reclaimed Wood Panel Installation Tips
- Start with a clean, obstruction free, flat surface. Remove all nails and screws and sand down any high spots and spackle repairs. RECwood™ can be applied directly over drywall or 1/2 plywood.
- Paint your wall a color similar to your RECwood™ paneling color choice. This keeps bright or light colors from showing through the natural occurring holes typical in reclaimed wood.
- If purchasing more that one box, open all the boxes to mix and match for a more pleasing look. Consider the color of each plank and create a balanced blend throughout the project.
- Decide on a pattern and start laying up your planks. Use a level to draw a reference line in the middle of the wall. Stagger the panels on each side of the reference line and make sure to alternate your plank colors as you go.
- Use a miter box and back saw or a powered miter saw to trim to length as needed. Use a jigsaw for cutting around electrical boxes and other objects. Stagger edges where board lengths line up vertically to create a more pleasing appearance.
- You may want to use construction adhesive (i.e. Liquid Nails) to secure your paneling to the wall surface. If applying the planks to a vertical surface, we suggest using brads or finishing nails to hold the planks in place while the construction adhesive sets up and provides a long-term hold. NOTE: a minimal amount of brad or finishing nails are required to hold the plank in place until the adhesive dries. Use a counter sink to hide the brad/nail heads. We generally use a nail gun and shoot the nails in on different angles to better hold the panels in place. Using this method, you can skip construction adhesive which may damage your wall board should you ever decide to remove the paneling.
- At the ceiling or baseboard you may have a gap smaller than the width of the planks. Use a tape measure and pencil to mark the plank. NOTE: You can use another plank as a straight edge to mark the cut line. This will achieve the desired floor to ceiling coverage need to make your job look professional.
- If you have any questions, and think you need our assistance on your installation, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone or email. We are located in California, so please keep that in mind when contacting us for installation tips.
How to maintain RECwood™ Planks.
Maintain the timeless beauty of RECwood™ by vacuuming off dust with a brush attachment. Do not use furniture polish or cleaners. Crayons and magic marker mishaps can be carefully removed with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
When can I expect my order to arrive?
Samples will typically ship the same day. Full Plank orders ship within 10 business days from your order date but usually much sooner. Rush services are available for a 25% up-charge. Rush orders ship within 3 business days. Call us for orders of 150 sq. ft. or more for a more exact delivery date and quantity discounts.
Shipping costs are calculated at check out. RECwood™ is shipped via UPS and USPS. Approximate weight per box: 11 to 23 lbs. Do not accept any damaged boxes from UPS and contact us immediately for a replacement.
Undamaged, unopened boxes may be returned to our store in Laguna Niguel or shipped at the buyer's expense for a refund minus shipping at RECwood's discretion.